Wednesday, August 24, 2005

First Post From Syracuse

Wow... this has been a really long 3 days. Lots of last-minute shopping and packing.

But now I'm here... college. Met my roommate, Lenny. He seems OK, but I'll have to get to know him better. It took hours, but my dorm room is mostly the way I want it. The closet still needs some work, and the walls are downright barren, but it's functional.

My habit of dual-platform computing has finally come back to bite me in the ass. I got the PowerBook registered for ResNet service (I'm typing on it now), but the PC is another story. Syracuse does not allow the use of hubs, switches, routers, wifi access points, or any other form of expanding the network beyond the two ports in each room (one for each person). I figured I'd just swap one ethernet cable between the two computers. Sure, it'd be inconvenient, but heck, it's what I did at home back before I got wifi, right?

Well, the PC doesn't want to register. Thge registration page won't even come up. I guess the connection assumes that once I did the Mac, I'm done. *sigh* I guess I'll have to pester to the CMS guys tomorrow, and justify this by saying that my situation is no different than when people request an extra IP for their X-Boxes, I just prefer PC games. (but still need Apple video editing software)

Or... I could just get all sneaky and play with internet connection sharing over FireWire... >:)

Anyway, I'll try to get some pictures up of the dorm tomorrow.

No comments: